This is the story of the life and death of Ted Healy, the man who started the Three Stooges. The thing about Ted’s death is that many, even today, think it was murder. He was born Ernest Lea Nash on October 1, 1896 in Kaufman, Texas. In 1908, his family moved to New York.
It was there he became friends with another boy in the neighborhood named Moses Horwitz. Moses, who was nicknamed Moe by his family, had five brothers. Two of Moe’s younger brothers were Samuel Horwitz, who was called Shemp, and Jerome Lester Horwitz, who was known as Babe, but would later to be known as Curly. In his autobiography, Moe described his relationship with Healy as inseparable.
Show notes and links:
- Bridget Driscoll – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- How the UK’s first fatal car accident unfolded (bbc.com)
- Ted Healy – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- An Illustrated History, From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons: Michael Fleming: 9780767905565: Amazon.com: Books (amazon.com)
- The Autobiography of the Leader of the Three Stooges: Moe Howard: 9781613747667: Amazon.com: Books (amazon.com)
- The Fixers: Eddie Mannix, Howard Strickling and the MGM Publicity Machine (9780786420278): E.J. Fleming: Books (amazon.com)
- The Three Stooges Biography – YouTube (youtube.com)
- Ted Healy Bio – YouTube (youtube.com)
- What Really Happened the Night Ted Healy Was Beaten at Cafe Trocadero? (playgroundtothestars.com)
- THE LAST DAYS OF TED HEALY (greatentertainersarchives.blogspot.com)