As the age of 4 or 5 he read and fell in love with the H.G. Wells 1896 book The Island of Dr. Moreau, the story of a doctor who creates sentient beings from animals by the way of vivisection. Richard Stanley was disappointed in the previous two film adaptions of the work and dreamed that one day he would be able to make the film right.
In 1996, he got his chance to make a big budget film Doctor Moreau. It didn’t go well!
Show notes and links:
- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996 film) (wikipedia.org)
- Director Richard Stanley on Why His ‘The Island of Dr. Moreau’ Became Such a Notorious Flop | VICE (vice.com)
- Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau – Official Trailer – (2015) (youtube.com)
- Cheyenne Brando – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Nelson de la Rosa – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Richard Stanley (director) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Fired Genius Behind Disastrous ’96 Island of Dr. Moreau Vows an X-Rated Remake (laweekly.com)
- OBNOXIOUS AND ANONYMOUS: TALKIN’ WITH RICHARD STANLEY (FILMMAKER) (youtube.com)
- Amazon.com: Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau (Blu-ray + DVD + CD): Richard Stanley, Fairuza Balk, Marco Hofschneider, Robert Shaye, Edward R. Pressman, Rob Morrow, Graham Humphreys, David Gregory: Movies & TV (amazon.com)