It was the perfect great American success story; a down and out family man going from rags to riches with nothing more than his own ingenuity, inventing a game in his basement to support his family during the Depression. It was the story of the world’s most popular board game.
Unfortunately, it was a lie.
This week, we tell the story of Elizabeth J. “Lizzy” Magie; the real creator of the game!
Show notes and links:
- Some see Bigfoot photo-bombing Michigan eagle’s nest cam (freep.com)
- Monopoly Was Invented By Charles Darrow (factmyth.com)
- Log In – The New York Times (nytimes.com)
- The Landlord’s Game – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of the board game Monopoly (wikipedia.org)
- A Primer on Henry George’s “Single Tax” (dollarsandsense.org)
- A place on the board (lady.co.uk)
- This Woman Invented Monopoly to Combat Greed (youtube.com)
- Mary Pilon: “The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury, and the Scandal Behind …” | Authors at Google (youtube.com)
- Anti-Monopoly – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Amazon.com: The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury, and the Scandal Behind the World’s Favorite Board Game eBook: Mary Pilon: Kindle Store (amazon.com)