On August 16, 1942, a blimp carrying two men left the coast of San Francisco to look for, and possibly destroy, enemy submarines. Five hours later, the airship was found, crashed in the middle of a suburban street. The two navy men were gone.
To this day, no one knows what became of the two men, leading some to call the mysterious airship… The Ghost Blimp.
Show notes and links:
- Mystery of the Ghost Blimp (historynet.com)
- Crash of the L-8 (check-six.com)
- L-class blimp – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- L8: The Ghost Blimp: Did Lt Cody Survive? (ghostblimp.blogspot.com)
- Aviation History’s Most Infamous One-Way Tickets to Immortality: Steven A. Ruffin: 9780760347928: Amazon.com: Books (amazon.com)
- Ghost Blimp | Unsolved more Mysteries (unsolved.com)
- The 1942 Ghost Blimp That Bewildered a California Town (atlasobscura.com)
- The Mysterious Vanished Crew of the Ghost Blimp (mysteriousuniverse.org)
- The Ghost Blimp | Oddly Historical (oddlyhistorical.com)