In the early 18th century, some women found ways to help out with the family income. Mary Peck Butterworth did what she could – she made her own money in her kitchen! She was a counterfeiter who had a team in 1716 and this is her story.
Show notes and links:
- Notable American women, 1607-1950: a biographical dictionary – Radcliffe College (google.com)
- Mary Peck Butterworth –Colonial Counterfeiter (pluckywomen.blogspot.com)
- Mary Butterworth – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Counterfeiting in Colonial America – Kenneth Scott (google.com)
- Women in American History: A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia … (google.com)