Ever since the invention of money, there have always been people looking for ways to make it both quickly and easily. Promises of quick profits are often very temping to anyone dreaming of a better life – so imagine a chance to double your money in as little as three months?
That is what one man pledged in the early 20th century, getting thousands of people to give him his hard earned cash. Today I have the tale of Charles Ponzi and his Scheme.
Show notes and links:
- Charles Ponzi – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- In Search Of History – Charles Ponzi & His Scheme (History Channel Documentary) (youtube.com)
- The Ultimate Get-Rich-Quick Scheme: Charles Ponzi & the True Story of a Financial Legend (2005) (youtube.com)
- Charles Ponzi – Criminal – Biography (biography.com)
- Carlo Bianchi and the Nurse (infogumshoe.com)
- Handbook of frauds, scams, and swindles : failures of ethics in leadership / edited by Serge Matulich, David M. Currie. (princeton.edu)
- History’s Greatest Deceptions and Confidence Scams by Steven Lazaroff Mark Rodger (goodreads.com)