One day, a hotel owner in Virginia was given a small locked metal box for safekeeping by a man who has spent the winter at the inn. The man never returned.
After several years had gone by, the hotel innkeeper decided it was time to see what was inside. To his surprise, it contained the clues to a treasure of gold, silver, and jewels. Just one problem; it was written in code! After 130 years, no one has been able to figure it out.
I have the story of the Beale Papers on the 179th episode of Sunday Morning Coffee with Jeff.
Show notes and links:
- History’s Mysteries – Buried Treasure (History Channel Documentary) (youtube.com)
- Beale ciphers – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The UnMuseum – The Beale Papers (unmuseum.org)
- The Quest to Break America’s Most Mysterious Code—And Find $60 Million in Buried Treasure (mentalfloss.com)
- Treasure by numbers | Science (theguardian.com)
- The Hart Papers (tripod.com)
- This link has no title (jstor.org)
- Brad Meltzer’s Decoded: Seeling Beale’s Treasure | History (youtube.com)