Once upon a time there was a large poplar tree on the border between North and South Korea. The South Koreans, with the help the United States, wanted it chopped down. The North Koreans wanted it to stay. Not only did this disagreement cost the lives of two American soldiers, but almost started a major war.
On this episode I tell a tale tell a tale of the Korean axe murder incident and Operation Paul Bunyan and the 187th episode of Coffee With Jeff.
Show notes and links:
- Axes of Evil — The Atavist Magazine (atavist.com)
- At Korean summit in DMZ, ‘deranged’ ax murders still cast a shadow (washingtonpost.com)
- Korean axe murder incident – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Korean Demilitarized Zone – Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The DMZ ‘gardening job’ that almost sparked a war (bbc.com)
- The North Korean Axe Murders That Almost Started a War (theatlantic.com)
- A Brief History of: The Poplar Tree Incident (youtube.com)