It could be true, bat people who live on the moon, don’t you think? Maybe not, but in 1835 the people of New York – and then the world – read a series of newspaper articles about a scientist who used a fantastic telescope to see the life that inhabited the moon. It’s true! He saw all kinds of things. This is the story.
Show notes and links:
- The Great Moon Hoax (1835) (hoaxes.org).
- The Great Moon Hoax of 1835 (text) (hoaxes.org).
- The Great Moon Hoax of 1835 (legendsofamerica.com).
- The Folklorist: The Great Moon Hoax (youtube.com).
- This post has no title. (tourwithdiscovery.com).
- The Moon is made of green cheese (en.wikipedia.org).
- ‘Hey Bill Nye, What If the Moon Were Made of Green Cheese?’ #tuesdayswithbill (youtube.com).