Wrong Way Corrigan left New York in his little plane to head home to California and wound up in Dublin, Ireland. He flew East over the Atlantic Ocean rather than west over the United States and yes, he had a compass on the plane.
There are those that believe that the nickname is not a fair one. Corrigan is dead now but I believe that he was totally fine with his moniker. He always insisted, until the day he died, that he did go the wrong way even if a lot of people have their doubts.
Show notes and links:
- Douglas Corrigan – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- “Wrong Way” Corrigan crosses the Atlantic – Jul 17, 1938 (history.com)
- The Adventures of Wrong-Way Corrigan | History Net: Where History Comes Alive – World & US History Online (historynet.com)
- Douglas Corrigan, 88, Dies – Wrong-Way Trip Was the Right Way toCelebrity as an Aviator (nytimes.com)
- Famous Aviator Douglas (wrong way) Corrigan, Hawthorne California 1988 (youtube.com)
- To Tell the Truth – “Wrong Way” Corrigan (Jul 16, 1957) (youtube.com)
- Douglas “Wrong-Way” Corrigan: 70 Years Later (britannica.com)