Eugenics is a social philosophy that the human race could be improved by making sure desired traits in humans are passed on and that undesirable ones are not. Eugenics was widely supported in the USA and it all began with the story of Carrie Elizabeth Buck who, in 1927, was a victim of the state of Virginia’s eugenics program.
On March 20, 1924 the Virginia General Assembly passed SB 281, The Sterilization Act, “to prevent the procreation of feebleminded, insane, epileptic, inebriate, criminalistics, and other degenerate persons with inferior hereditary potentialities”.
Carrie Buck was operated upon at the Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded, making sure she was never able to have another child.
Show notes and links:
- Scientific Racism The Eugenics of Social Darwinism (youtube.com)
- Racial Integrity Act of 1924 (wikipedia.org)
- Carrie Buck – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Part 1: Buck v. Bell: SCOTUS Case That Led to Forced Sterilization of 70,000 & Inspired the Nazis (youtube.com)
- Eugenics Archive Theme (eugenicsarchive.org)
- Buck v. Bell (1927) (encyclopediavirginia.org)
- Legacy of American Eugenics: Buck v. Bell in the Supreme Court (youtube.com)
- The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck: Adam Cohen: 9781594204180: Amazon.com: Books (amazon.com)
- WATCH: ‘CONCLUSIVE PROOF UFOs visited Earth’ after ‘alien fleet filmed’ | Weird | News (express.co.uk)
- Republican State Rep Resigns After Huzzahing Hitler’s Extermination of the Disabled (techyum.com)