The Fox Sisters were responsible for making Spiritualism a worldwide phenomenon. They lived in a small farmhouse in the mid 1800s and became known all over America for the ability to talk to the dead, but it was all a scam.
Margaret confessed later in life, “When we went to bed at night we used to tie an apple to a string and move the string up and down, causing the apple to bump on the floor, or we would drop the apple on the floor, making a strange noise every time it would rebound. Mother listened to this for a time. She would not understand it and did not suspect us as being capable of a trick because we were so young.”
Also; I talk a little about MonsterTalk with Blake Smith and Karen Stollznow.
Show notes and links:
- The Fox Sisters: Spiritualism’s Unlikely Founders (historynet.com)
- Biography of Kate and Margaret Fox (survivalafterdeath.info)
- The Fox Sisters and the Rap on Spiritualism | History (smithsonianmag.com)
- being the true story of the Fox sisters, as revealed by authority of Margaret Fox Kane and Catherine Fox Jencken (archive.org)
- Elisha Kane – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- Mysterys explained episode 1 The Fox Sisters and the birth of Spiritualism (youtube.com)
- Fox sisters – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (wikipedia.org)
- MonsterTalk (skeptic.com)