In this episode of The History Files, Gordon discusses the difference between “warrior” and “soldier”, and the impact of the evolution of firearms on what would become the model of the modern army.
Producer’s note: We had a recording glitch that meant I had to chase Gordon down at his day job and re-record part of the main segment in less-than-ideal circumstances, so that’s the reason for the weird “why is he suddenly in an abandoned warehouse?” sound for a few minutes. Apologies!
Show notes and links:
- 2015 Waco shootout (en.wikipedia.org).
- Amazon.com: Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe: Gunpowder, Technology, and Tactics (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology) (9780801869945): Bert S. Hall: Books (amazon.com).
- Matchlock (en.wikipedia.org).
- Wheellock (en.wikipedia.org).
- Stuhlweissenburg, Battle of | Hungarian history | Encyclopedia Britannica (britannica.com).
- Arquebus (en.wikipedia.org).
- Universalmuseum Joanneum :: Styrian Armoury (museum-joanneum.at). Graz Armory
- Heritage History | Homeschool History Curriculum | Story of Old France by Helene Guerber (heritage-history.com). Battle of Coutras (1587)
- Battle of Turnhout (1597) (en.wikipedia.org).
- From Lance to Pistol — myArmoury.com (myarmoury.com).
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.