This week on the History Files, it’s the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta, which calls for some discussion of what it is and its impact on western governments, especially those of Britain and the United States.
Show notes and links:
- The Lion in Winter (1968) (imdb.com).
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) (imdb.com).
- Robin Hood (1922) (imdb.com) The classic Douglas Fairbanks silent.
- Robin Hood (1991) (imdb.com) Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman.
- Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott (gutenberg.org).
- Ivanhoe (TV Movie 1982) (imdb.com)
- The Return to Camelot: Chivalry and the English Gentleman, by Mark Girouard (amazon.com).
- Is America practicing Lex Rex or Rex Lex? (jacklewis.net).
- Featured Document: The Magna Carta (archives.gov).
- Edward Coke (en.wikipedia.org).
- John Locke (en.wikipedia.org).
- The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam, by Barbara W. Tuchman (amazon.com).
- Habeas corpus (en.wikipedia.org).
- World Wide Words: Deodand (worldwidewords.org).
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.