This week on The History Files, we sit down with economics writer Rand MacGreal to talk about the history of money, the Mississippi Bubble land speculation debacle, and Richard Cantillon, the 18th century father of economics.
This session yielded so much good discussion that we’re splitting it into two sections. Tune in next week for part two!
Show notes and links:
- A Man for All Seasons (1966) (imdb.com).
- Aaron Burr (en.wikipedia.org).
- The Occupation of Monterey (en.wikipedia.org).
- Lost Foundation: A Conversation with 18th century Economist Richard Cantillon, Rand McGreal (amazon.com).
- Meeting of Minds (steveallenonline.com).
- Richard Cantillon (en.wikipedia.org).
- John Law (economist) (en.wikipedia.org).
- Fiat money (en.wikipedia.org).
- Market Crashes: The Tulip and Bulb Craze (investopedia.com).
- Mississippi Company (en.wikipedia.org).
- ECB (ecb.europa.eu).
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.