This week we look at the Battle of Antietam, one of the bloodiest of the American Civil War; General Lee’s attempt to bring the fight to the North.
Show notes and links:
- French Quebec surrenders to the British after Battle of the Plains of Abraham (1759).
- John Paul Jones declares, “I have not yet begun to fight!” (1779).
- List of amendments to the United States Constitution (1789).
- French National Convention abolishes the monarchy (1792).
- Assassination of William McKinley (1901).
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (1996).
- Death Comes to Pemberley (TV Mini-Series 2013) (imdb.com).
- Crisis At The Antietam, by Bruce Catton (full text).
- Second Battle of Bull Run
- Robert E. Lee
- Henry “Lighthorse Harry” Lee III
- George B. McClellan
- Battle of Antietam
- Hope Paintings (nps.gov).
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Third Battle of Nanking (the 1862 action in China with enormous casualties that we couldn’t remember the name of).
- @history_files (twitter.com).
- CSICONauts Chat
- The History Files at Goodreads (goodreads.com).
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.