In this shorter “History Bite” episode, we look at the real Saint Nicholas and try to trace the winding path from stalwart early church bishop to jolly secular rewarder of goodness. We might also sneak in a segment about Khyber Pass firearm copies too, because when our listeners ask, we deliver. Oh, and Merry Christmas, everyone!
Show notes and links:
- Khyber Pass Copy (en.wikipedia.org)
- Khyber Pass Rifles (oldbritishguns.com)
- Khyber Pass Martini Pistol at RIA (Video) (forgottenweapons.com)
- Christmas Traditions (khouse.org)
Scroll down for some good St. Nicholas info.
- St. Nicholas Center : Origin of Santa (stnicholascenter.org)
- Patara, Lycia (en.wikipedia.org)
- First Council of Nicaea (en.wikipedia.org)
- The Age of Pilgrimage: The Medieval Journey to God, by Jonathan Sumption
- Thomas Nast (en.wikipedia.org)
Creator of the first iconic “Santa” image
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.