Let’s take a look at the real Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth president of the United States and eventually known as, amongst other things, “The Great Emancipator”. How much of what is popularly known about him is the truth, and how much is folklore? We thought it was high time for a little myth-busting.
Show notes and links:
- War of Jenkins’ Ear (April 9, 1731)
- Assassination of Abraham Lincoln (April 14, 1865)
- RMS Titanic disaster (April 10, 1912)
- Lincoln (2012) (Speilberg)
- Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) (John Ford)
- Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws of England
- American Colonization Society (wikipedia.org)
- Abraham Lincoln and the Politics of Black Colonization (umich.edu)
- Mexican–American War (wikipedia.org)
- The Mexican American War, pt. 1 (The History Files episodes 26-28)
- Corwin Amendment (wikipedia.org)
- A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War: Thomas DiLorenzo (amazon.com)
- What You’re Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe: Thomas DiLorenzo (amazon.com)
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.