Afghanistan has been called the “graveyard of empires”. This week we look far back into the origins of this concept and make it as far as the beginning of the 1st Anglo-Afghan war in the first half of the 19th century. Remember: it’s easy to get into Afghanistan, but not so easy to get out.
Show notes and links:
- Shooting Austro-Hungarian Arms | WeaponsMan (weaponsman.com)
- The Quiet Gun 1957 Western Movie Forrest Tucker, Jim Davis, Lee Van Cleef (youtu.be)
- Gun the Man Down | (trailersfromhell.com)
- Afghanistan: the Great Game, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- East India Company
- Henri-Joseph Paixhans
- Alexander Burnes
- First Anglo-Afghan War
- Bad Cat Store at Zazzle (Zazzle.com)
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.