In part two of our series on Afghanistan, we discuss the devastating consequences of colonizing attempts in a region that really, really doesn’t want outside influence. With a healthy dose of home court advantage, the 1st and 2nd Afghan wars showed just how horrific the results can be.
Show notes and links:
- The Year Of Battles I THE GREAT WAR Summary Part 6 (youtube.com)
- Gunga Din (1939)
- King of the Khyber Rifles (1953) Tyrone Power, Michael Rennie (youtube.com)
- My Life in the Gurkhas : John Masters (amazon.com)
- The road past Mandalay : John Masters (openlibrary.org)
- The History Files #63: Afghanistan pt. 1 (csicon.fm)
- First Anglo-Afghan War
- Second Anglo-Afghan War
- Today’s special music: “Ghar Aya Mera Pardesi” (youtube.com)
- Bad Cat Shop at Zazzle (zazzle.com)
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.