We spent two episodes talking about the origins of the American cowboy, the golden age of the cattle drive, and some of the heroes of the old west. This week – in part three – we talk about the cowboy’s migration from the range to the silver screen and further developments of cowboy culture.
Show notes and links:
- The Crown (TV series)
- Firearms of the American West at SteamCon II (2010) (Bad Cat Productions at youtu.be)
- Buffalo Bill
- Miller Brothers 101 Ranch
- Bill Pickett
- Tom Mix
- William S. Hart
- Packing Iron: Gunleather of the Frontier West – Richard C. Rattenbury, Janet Begley, Norm Flayderman
- This week’s special music: A Cocky Cowboy, Cliff Ferre with the Cafe Society Quintet (archive.org)
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.