While there are no records of large-scale wars or even battles in the Puget Sound area, there have been a few skirmishes over the years. Many people have heard of the Pig War (see HF ep. 53) , but fewer know of the Battle of… Port Gamble. It’s a case of truth being stranger than fiction, with the US Navy coming to the defense of the S’Klallam Indians of present day Little Boston, and we’re here to tell you all about it.
Show notes and links:
- Norwood Cove Object (mdihistory.org)
- Gordon’s Gun Closet #18: Indiana Jones (csicon.fm)
- Battle of Port Gamble (infogalactic.com)
- Battle of Port Gamble (youtube.com)
- In the Land of the Headhunter (vimeo.com)
- Audible.com, the best place on the Internet for audiobooks. Listeners of The History Files can get a free audiobook download and 30 day free trial! Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.